Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Jason Gray - "Nothing is Wasted"


I like this song.  I'm surprised it's getting the full treatment of having a radio mix, official video and I have actually heard it on the radio.  That says much for Centricity as a recording label and more for Jason as a crafter of songs.

I'm surprised since he has a ton of songs that are catchy and may play better.  I'm also surprised because the song drips with the gospel.  Life being painful and it is picked up by loving hands and used for glory.  It also touches on a deep subtle truth I'm starting to learn; leaning on the faith of Jesus. 

It goes back to a sermon I heard and the pastor point out that it is the "faith OF Christ" not "faith IN Christ".  He got into the Greek grammar:
Galatians 2:
NIV is poor in its translation:
16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in[d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

KJV treats it better:
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Anyway, enjoy the song and video. I will.


Jason Gray- Nothing Is Wasted (Official Music Video) from jason-gray on GodTube.




2 comments:

  1. Could you explain your understanding of the difference between being justified by faith in Jesus vs being justified by the faith of Jesus?

    I tried to research it a little and I don't see how "of" makes any sense. The Greek seems to equate "faith" with "trust". I can put my trust in things and it makes sense that trusting in Jesus would justify a person with God. But if one is justified not by having faith in Jesus, but by Jesus' faith in... I assume God (since the object of that faith is not identified), then everyone is already justified with God even if they reject Jesus, because it's not their faith, but Jesus' faith that makes the relationship right. But the ways of the world make it very clear to me that most of us are not justified- aligned with God's will- in a right relationship with God. That's just my trying to think through this. I look forward to your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://redeemernashville.libsyn.com/dogma_part_two_justification
    From the above sermon - justification has 2 biblical meanings:
    A)"Justified" means to be found "not-guilty". Not that we are innocent or good, simply a legal standing of not-guilty.
    B) "Justification" means to be part of the covenant

    "faith of Jesus" can either be Jesus' faith (ownership) or a faith similar to that of Jesus (example). I'm seeing it as Him as the author and perfector of my faith. But here the faith OF Christ is his faithfulness to the covenant. Not our works on our side of the covenant.

    Here's a good, deep resource (honestly I've only skimmed) - http://ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Justification_Biblical_Basis.pdf

    ReplyDelete