Friday, May 21, 2010

MMmmm. Beer

Over the past 3 years I've developed a real fondness for beer. For the most part beer makes me think accomplishment. My usually consumption is 1 can after mowing the lawn or 1-2 after a day of frisbee or hardwork. A case lasts me about 1 month.

Probably one step beyond just accomplishment is the celebration of the accomplishment. I'm not very likely to receive grand adulation for my lawn mowing prowess; and my frisbee skills have plateaued where I am content to leave them be. (sshh, I'm too lazy to do the conditioning to push to the next level). Beer is my toast to something done at the end of the day. I celebrate by nursing this 12 oz can for 1/2 hr. The bubbles applauding in my ear.

For how much I truly like beer, I'm not a beer snob. I buy cases of cans because I'm cheap. I used to imbibe IC Light until it just recently moved from Pittsburgh to Wisconsin. I used to like Rolling Rock until a co-worker told me it tasted like corn; I had one shortly there after and he was right. Yuengling still holds a place in my heart. I lean towards the lagers. I like the taste of some stouts & such but feel bloated for a long time after.

I like the concept of the microbrews and local breweries. Besides supporting your local shops, it is also accomplishment wrapped up in a nice 12 or 16 oz package. GK Chesterton (get used to the name if you keep reading my blog) once said "you don't grow a beard on a whim". Good brewing is an investment of time, resources and labor. It is art. Honor the artist. I'm sure wine & cheese can fall under the same craft label, but c'mon it's beer.

My caveat of ppl getting silly or stupid on drink will also be summed up by GK Chesterton. "The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog." Actions have consequences.

I can probably go much deeper but my Yuengling is about empty and I will keep this light so as to not get bloated or make any reader bloated.

No comments:

Post a Comment