Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ah, those wacky materialists

The Christian admits that the universe is manifold and even miscellaneous, just as a sane man knows that he is complex. The sane man knows that he has a touch of the beast, a touch of the devil, a touch of the saint, a touch of the citizen. Nay, the really sane man knows that he has a touch of the madman. But the materialist's world is quite simple and solid, just as the madman is quite sure he is sane. The materialist is sure that history has been simply and solely a chain of causation, just as the interesting person before mentioned is quite sure that he is simply and solely a chicken. Materialists and madmen never have doubts. -GKC, Orthodoxy

Yup. More GK Chesterton.

I think I like this anytime I read/hear about some new discover and now we know for sure, "science has proven" this item to be true.  All history, geological or human, is "simply and solely a chain of causation".  My kid's library book said that the Egyptians believed snakes held the power of life & death.  This & the Mayans "believing snakes were god" rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe over stating somethings we just aren't sure about.  I'm pretty sure some future scientist will conclude my household worshipped talking vegetables and sang tribal chants to pass along the traditions of my culture.  When truly, I just like the song.  C'mon it is Burger Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment