Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I will not quote GK Chesterton

I read an article last week that quoted GKC from Orthodoxy which roughly refered to God tempting God and the statement (from the article referring to atheists) "They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist."


Some one took issue (it's the internet so make any statement and someone will  disagree.) with this.  The "disagree" contention was that Jesus was using the statement as a reference to Psalm 22 and didn't mean he was forsaken.  They continued that every Jew in the crowd would have immediately known it was a reference to Psalm 22 and felt sad.

I was just thinking this arguer worked very hard to not prove a point.

Either he was forsaken (abandoned) by God the Father, or he was not forsaken but surely felt like it.  Go ahead and argue Jesus was not entirely cutoff but just spiritually cutoff.  I'm not sure where the difference lies. 

To me there is something chilling (and proper) that Jesus brings his greatest emotional anguish, his doubt, to the Father.  Not from a position of confidence & challenging (Job); but from a position of a servant (Your will, not mine).  A servant unto death.

"David, he chased God's own heart.  All I ever seem to chase is me."  -Andrew Peterson, The Chasing Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment