Monday, November 29, 2010

On influential people

"Distribute the dignified people and the capable people and the highly businesslike people among all the situations which their ambition or their innate corruption may demand, but keep close to your heart, keep deep in you inner councils the absurd people; let the clever people pretend to advise you, but let the fools alone influence you; let the laughable people whose faults you see and understand be the only people who are really inside your life, who really come near you or accompany you on your lonely march towards the last impossibility." - Introduction to 'David Copperfield' G.K. Chesterton

I read this and it causes me to think.....man that's a long sentence.

1 comment:

  1. I like everything about this, aside from it's length. I like to surround myself with those who know their imperfections because they are the most "normal" people I know.

    ReplyDelete